C-arm X-ray machines are commonly used in orthopedic operating rooms and are known as the orthopedic surgeon’s second set of eyes for orthopedic surgery. In terms of C-arm protection in the operating room, what are the strategies and methods to reduce the X-ray radiation received by the medical care?
First, time protection: medical personnel and the patient’s dose of illumination, the greater the harm caused to the body will be greater, so the focus of radiation time protection is: to reduce the exposure time.
(1) Under the premise of meeting the image quality, try to shorten the time and number of X-ray exposure.
(2) Take intermittent fluoroscopy method to control the whole exposure time.
Directly retain the film method of archiving, time-saving, non-repeat to complete the orientation effect and diagnosis.
Second, the distance protection: radiation intensity and the human body to receive irradiation time is directly proportional to the square of the distance is inversely proportional. That is, the distance increased by a factor of 1, the radiation intensity of the original 1/4. doctor’s hand by the direct radiation is the most powerful, up to 377μGy/min. chest is most vulnerable to radiation around the gonads, the lowest amount of radiation. The surgical bed shields some of the radiation. Standing on the opposite side (270°) of the patient receives the greatest amount of radiation.
(1) Avoid direct exposure of the hands.
(2) Turning your head away from the patient during fluoroscopy reduces eye radiation
(3) 2 meters + away from the C-arm is equivalent to adequate protection.
(4) 4 meters away when the effect of radiation on the human body has been negligible.
Third, shielding protection: the use of a variety of shielding facilities and appliances to absorb rays, reducing the rays into the human body, including a variety of screens in the operating room and personal protective equipment worn.
(1) lead screen: lead screen has a single, double and triple, triple lead screen can be better shielding side to side of the scattered rays. Lead screen can also be opened on the observation window. Mostly mobile screen.
(2) Lead curtains: bedside lead curtains, hanging lead curtains or lead windows
(3)The bulb tube is under the bed, and the lead curtain is hung by the bedside, and the scattered rays can be absorbed in large quantities close to the bed, and the lead curtain is made of lead rubber.
(4) Lead glasses: try to choose lead glasses with side protection, in case of blocking the rays coming from the side.
(5) Lead bibs: Reduce the direct radiation to the thyroid to 1.73 μGy/min.
(6) lead clothing: long coat lead clothing, heavy and airtight recommended to tighten the belt; two-cut lead clothing, IAEA recommended as well as lead caps and medical lead gloves.
In addition to the above three protection strategies, the use of personal dose monitoring is also recommended. The C-arm produced by Perlove Medical has the function of DAP dose display, which can display the radiation dose of each exposure, monitor the radiation situation in real time, and avoid excessive intake of X-ray radiation by doctors and patients in advance. In addition, this C-arm adopts the intelligent frequency conversion technology that automatically adjusts the image frame rate according to the part of the body being photographed and the radiation dose, so as to realize the goal of lower dose under the premise of retaining the effective information of the diagnostic data and the high-definition image quality.